Winning Attorneys are Talking
“My firm tried to compile notes on judges for years – with no success. This is just what we need.”
“This site lets me research a judge in a way I never could before.”
Overview of Tentative Rulings
The Los Angeles County Superior Court invented tentative rulings in the 1960s. Originally, they made motion practice more efficient by allowing parties to avoid an appearance upon learning which way a court was leaning, assuming the indicated result was acceptable.
Attorneys could call the court and listen to a looped recording of the next day’s tentative rulings. Now, many departments post tentative rulings via their local court website.
- Alberto Brown Kevin Ceramica Comfort Fit Pants 32 7847
- Edwin Japan Terry Cloth Cotton Striped Long Sleeve Crew T Shirt Grey Marl Navy
- 5.11 Tactical Stryke Shirt - Dark Navy All Sizes
- AX ARMANI EXCHANGE MEN'S JEANS SIZE 33 WAIST STRAIGHT LEG 32
- M461 SUPERDRY SHIRT TOP CASUAL ORIGINAL PREMIUM NAVY STRIPS size L
- CHESTER BARRIE Vintage Made In UK Super 100'S Sport Coat 2 Btn 1 Vent 46 Long
- DIESEL WAYKEE REGULAR-STRAIGHT FIT JEANS 0845A W36 L32 (5779)
- Mens CHAPS Ralph Lauren LG Reversible Navy bluee GreenPuffer Front Zip Vest
- NEW FROG HEAD Amphibian Pond Life The Mountain T Shirt Adult Sizes
- NEW DSQUARED2 MENS SHORT JEANS SLIM FIT, SIZE 30 42 EU
- New shirt men's brand Pierre Cardin. XXXXL size
- ELEVENTY F W 2016-17 GIACCA-MAGLIA IN PURA LANA VERGINE ART. 979MA0109_MAG22010
- SRH Men's Boardshorts In Rasta size 30
- MIKIO SAKABE T-Shirts 022935 White L
- Mr.Stream Men's Outdoor Casual Vintage Long Sleeve Plaid Flannel Button Down XL
- Lacoste Men's Stretch Mini Pique Slim Fit Polo Shirt - Choose SZ color
- Smartwool Mens Merino 250 Baselayer Crew Top
- REDUCED Portuguese Flannel Lobo Shirt Olive
The simplest of tentative rulings indicate nothing more than an intent to grant or deny. Thanks to hard-working judges, tentative rulings have evolved greatly over the past two decades.
Today, many tentative rulings go far beyond a simple ‘grant’ or ‘deny’ and are as thorough and well-written as published decisions from the California Court of Appeal or the California Supreme Court.
In fact, because the higher courts often focus on narrowly-framed issues, tentative rulings from trial court judges often provide a broader analysis.
Why Research Tentative Rulings?
Researching tentative rulings can:
- help you prepare a more thorough report to your client or carrier
- illustrate how a particular judge has handled specific issues in the past
- reveal which cases your judge finds most persuasive on a given topic
- address issues for which there is little or no appellate authority
- provide a quick overview of issues you’re not familiar with